The following is a report on Excelia Business School's recent activities, near-term plans, and “open items” that might interest individuals seeking to align their business school’s or university’s teaching and research with the need for a sustainable/flourishing/-regenerating world. Reports on such activities and plans will be posted every two months by schools participating in the evolving initiative currently titled: globalmovement.net.
ACTIVITIES IN THE LAST THREE MONTHS:
A. PROGRESS IN COURSE DEVELOPMENT (AND INFORMATION ON EXISTING COURSES)
CULTURE AND CONTEMPORARY ISSUES DEPARTMENT: new course entitled “Environmental Culture” opened in the first semester of 2021. Contact person: Lucile Ouvrard, firstname.lastname@example.org.
EXPERIENTIAL AND PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT DEPARTMENT: students are prepared with courses on CSR, SD, SDGs before they go on their international voluntary mission (Humacité, Climacité). Contact person: Sophie Pauget, email@example.com. A new specialization course opened in September 2020 entitled “Sustainable Development Project Manager”.
HUMAN RESOURCES MANAGEMENT DEPARTMENT: Some courses (e.g., Environmental Law) focus on CSR/SD/the environment through case studies and examples integrated with the lectures. A new specialization course opened in September 2020 entitled “Sustainable Development Project Manager”. Contact persons: Isabelle Baudet, firstname.lastname@example.org, and Dominic Drillon, email@example.com.
LANGUAGE AND CIVILIZATIONS DEPARTMENT: debates on sustainability and sustainable tourism organized in English lectures to stimulate discussions and arguments. A new specialization course opened in September 2020 entitled “Sustainable Development Project Manager”. Contact person: Caroline O’Neill, firstname.lastname@example.org
MARKETING DEPARTMENT: Some courses (e.g., Innovation Marketing) focus on CSR/SD/circular economy/ethics through case studies and examples integrated into the lectures. Further courses could integrate SD such as Market Studies and Intercultural Client Relationship Management. A new specialization course opened in September 2020 entitled “Sustainable Development Project Manager”. Contact person: Alexandre Schwob, email@example.com.
STRATEGY DEPARTMENT: Progress integrating sustainability, CSR, ethics into strategy courses. Development of new courses for September 2020. A new specialization course opened in September 2020 entitled “Sustainable Development Project Manager”. Contact person: Fanny Romestant - firstname.lastname@example.org
SUPPLY CHAIN DEPARTMENT: Progress integrating sustainability, CSR, and ethics in core and advance courses. The new course proposed entitled “Supply Chain and Sustainable Development”. Contact person: Jesus Gonzalez Feliu – email@example.com.
B. RESEARCH: Several research axis integrating CSR/SD in their research (Tourism, CSR/DD, and Agility Axis). Contact person: Jean-Pierre Helfer, firstname.lastname@example.org (Research Director). Several on-going projects funded by companies and preparation of research projects funded by the French National Agency or the European Commission through the IRSI. Contact person: Pierre Baret, email@example.com.
3. PARADIGM FOR BUSINESS EDUCATION:
On-going development of a new strategic plan (vision, mission, and strategic axis) to position the school as a model in terms of teaching integrating CSR/SD. This paradigm is illustrated, among other things, by our unique programmes “Humacité” and “Climacité”, where students volunteer on a mission favoring people and the environment. The staff can also participate. Contact person: Valérie Fernandes, firstname.lastname@example.org and Sophie Pauget, email@example.com. A full Master of Sciences has been developed in SD and CSR in 2000 (first business school in France to do that). This has extended to the Bachelor level in 2020. CSR/SD is one of LRBS – Excelia Group learning goals. The Sulitest is being used when students enter the school and when they graduate. We developed also an e-learning course on CSR and ethics.
4. PUBLICATIONS: Regular publications on sustainability. Contact person: Jean-Pierre Helfer, firstname.lastname@example.org (CSR/SD research axis from the CERIIM, Excelia Group), and Pierre Baret, email@example.com (IRSI Director, Excelia Group).
5. CASES/EXERCISES: Regular publications of teaching case-studies on CSR/SD through the INNOV Case Lab. Contact persons: Marie-Noelle Rimaud, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Regular pedagogical meetings and seminars, some of them focusing on integrating CSR/sustainability in teaching materials through Excelia Lab. Contact person: Valérie Fernandes, email@example.com.
On-going work on book chapter on using the SDGs to transform students into change-makers. Publication planned for Springer editions (to be published approximately in January 2021). Contact person: Morgane Fritz, firstname.lastname@example.org.
PLANS FOR THE NEXT 3 MONTHS
1. CULTURE AND CONTEMPORARY ISSUES COURSES: development to be seen next year with new programs and courses (2021).
2. STRATEGY COURSES: Strategy courses with new sustainability and CSR content scheduled for September term. On-going preparation of a new course focusing on business ethics and critical thinking (essay + debates). Contact person: Fanny Romestant - email@example.com.
3. SUPPLY CHAIN COURSES: Supply chain intro course integrating sustainability, CSR, and ethics scheduled for September term. Advanced “Introduction to Logistics” and “Sustainable Purchasing” etc. scheduled for 2020/2021 presentation. New courses entitled “Digitalization and Sustainability” and “Research in Supply Chain Management” under construction. Contact person: Jesus Gonzalez Feliu – firstname.lastname@example.org
4. TRAININGS: training on a game called “La fresque du climat” to raise students’ awareness on climate issues offered to the staff from 3rd July until 4th September 2020. Willlingness to use the game in various programmes related to Climacité. Contact person: Sophie Pauget - email@example.com and Lucile Ouvrard – firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. MOBTS Virtual Conference Session June 28-July 1, 2020: Innovating and Collaborating in Business Education for a Sustainable/Flourishing/ Regenerating World. Session on globalmovement.net initiative. (July 1, 2020, 1 pm to 2 PM). Contact persons: James Weichert – email@example.com and Morgane Fritz – firstname.lastname@example.org.
6. IAJBS/CJBE annual meeting virtual sessions July 12-15, 2020: Beyond embedding: Aligning all core required business courses with the need for a sustainable world, virtual session in place of session in postponed mid-July combined 26th Annual World Forum of the International Association of Jesuit Business Schools and 23rd Annual Meeting of the Colleagues in Jesuit Business Education, (July date to be determined). Contact persons: James Weichert – Weichert@globalmovement.net and Morgane Fritz – email@example.com
7. Academy of Management Virtual Annual Meeting, August 7-11, 2020: Information
available on Transforming business education through Sustainable Development Goals and curriculum innovation - PDW session on globalmovement.net initiative and two other sustainability initiatives at AOM Annual Meeting originally planned for Vancouver and being arranged virtually instead. Contact persons: Morgane Fritz – firstname.lastname@example.org and James Weichert - email@example.com.
8. E5t, October 2020: Organizing and hosting the event gathering companies and researchers on CSR/SD topics. Contact person: Pierre Baret, firstname.lastname@example.org.
9. EurOMA Forum, March 22-23, 2021: Organizing and hosting the 8th International EurOMA Sustainable Operations and Supply Chain Forum. The focus is on ‘practicing sustainability’ in operations and supply chain management. Sessions will focus on teaching cases and aligning core business courses with the need for a sustainable world. Contact persons: Minelle Silva, email@example.com and Morgane Fritz, firstname.lastname@example.org.
10. 2nd International Research Meeting on Artificial Intelligence (IRMIA-2020), 14-15 October 2020: Organizing and hosting the event. One theme focusing on AI and CSR. Contact person: Dominic Drillon, email@example.com.
OPEN ITEMS (topics we would appreciate guidance and help on. We have not yet
started on them very much…so far)
Oxygen Association (student association focusing on SD): how to integrate better students in CSR/SD teaching and research?
SD/CSR Governance: how to integrate our stakeholders in our structure and our approaches?