The following is a report on Fordham’s Gabelli Business School recent activities, near-term plans, and “open items” that might interest individuals seeking to align their business school’s or university’s teaching and research with the need for a sustainable/flourishing/- regenerating world. Reports on such activities and plans will be posted every two months by schools participating in the evolving initiative currently titled: globalmovement.net.
ACTIVITIES IN THE LAST THREE MONTHS:
1. CORE UG PRINCIPLES OF MANAGEMENT COURSES: Faculty and administrator team nearing completion of core management course grounded in and fully aligned with the need for a sustainable world and framed in Prosocial and Humanistic Management concepts.
Contact persons: James Teague - email@example.com
Sophia Town -firstname.lastname@example.org
2. CORE MANAGEMENT COURSE: Syllabus and paper on (an earlier) pilot core Principles of Management course grounded in sustainability led in fall 2019 term.
Contact person: Jim Stoner – email@example.com
3. CORE MARKETING COURSE: progress on the syllabus for core intro to marketing course with many sustainability concepts and materials embedded for teaching in fall 2020. Contact person: Sertan Kabadayi firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. CORE INTRO TO FINANCE COURSE AND TEXTBOOK: progress on the syllabus for core intro to finance course and completion of new finance textbook, both fully aligned with the need for a sustainable world. Course to be taught in fall 2020 and textbook available in June for fall 2020 adoption:
Contact person: Frank Werner - email@example.com
5. RESEARCH: UG student research papers: Progress arranging for sharing UG student honors theses on sustainability and closely related topics.
Contact person: Luke Kachersky, firstname.lastname@example.org
6. PARADIGM FOR BUSINESS EDUCATION: Completion of the report on a new paradigm for Jesuit business education by a working group of Jesuit business school deans and others – chaired by Dean Rapaccioli.
Contact person: Michael Pirson, email@example.com
7. PUBLICATIONS: Recent faculty publications on sustainability.
Contact person: An Yan, firstname.lastname@example.org
8. CASE/EXERCISE: Materials for caselet/exercise on Globalmovement.net/ 100&changeinspired initiative presented at the virtual Mid-Atlantic Organizational Behavior Teaching Conference on March 28, 2020.
Contact person: Weichert@globalmovement.net
PLANS FOR THE NEXT 3 MONTHS
Projects to develop syllabi and/or to teach core intro courses fully aligned with the need for a sustainable world in:
Core intro Management course to be taught in Fall 2020. Contact persons: James Teague email@example.com Sophia Town firstname.lastname@example.org
Core intro Finance course to be taught in Fall 2020. Contact person: Frank Werner - email@example.com
Core intro Marketing course with sustainability heavily embedded to be taught in Fall 2020 and/or spring 2021 terms. Contact person: Sertan Kabadayi Kabadayi@fordham.edu.
2.MOBTS Virtual Conference Session June 28-July 1
Innovating and Collaborating in Business Education for a Sustainable/Flourishing/ Regenerating World. Session on globalmovement.net initiative. (July 1, 2020, 1 pm to 2 PM). Contact persons: James Weichert – firstname.lastname@example.org and Morgane Fritz – email@example.com
3.IAJBS/CJBE annual meeting virtual sessions July 12-15:
Beyond embedding: Aligning all core required business courses with the need for a sustainable world, the virtual session in place of session in postponed mid-July combined 26th Annual World Forum of the International Association of Jesuit Business Schools and 23rd Annual Meeting of the Colleagues in Jesuit Business Education, (July date to be determined). Contact persons: James Weichert – Weichert@globalmovement.net and Morgane Fritz – firstname.lastname@example.org
A next-generation finance textbook is consistent with sustainability and flourishing, virtual session on new finance textbook and syllabus for a core intro to finance course for Fall 2020 aligned with the need for a sustainable world. (July date to be determined). Contact person Frank Werner - email@example.com
4.Academy of Management Virtual Annual Meeting, August 7-11. Information available on
Transforming business education through Sustainable Development Goals and curriculum innovation - PDW session on globalmovement.net initiative and two other sustainability initiatives at AOM Annual Meeting originally planned for Vancouver and being arranged virtually instead.
OPEN ITEMS (topics we would appreciate the guidance and help on. We have not yet started on them very much…so far) 1.Focusing social innovation courses, projects, and initiatives more on the need for a sustainable world. Contact person: Sadibou Sylla – firstname.lastname@example.org
PLEASE NOTE: These every-other-month reports on near-term events will not cover many things the schools have already done in the more distant past. Some of those things will be summarized in a longer, but also concise, document by each school reporting similar info for courses, programs, research, publications, etc. that occurred before February 1, 2020, and providing contact people for each item.